Sunday, January 13, 2008

joyful occasions/ cosas gozosos

I just flew to Omaha Nebraska this weekend for my uncle's wedding. He's 53 and has never been married before. My new Aunt Jerri and he had dated in college but had separated, she got married and then divorced a few years later. They've both been single for a long time and waiting on God to bring them their soul mate. So this weekend we met at the American Baptist camp in Omaha (yes, my family is baptist) to celebrate God's perfect timing.
As I sat there, listening to "God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you" sobbing (of course) there were a few thoughts running through my head:

1) I can't wait to get married.
God has continually been confirming my vocation to marriage over the last few weeks and months. Getting to the point (where I'm still at I believe) of loving religious life and feeling called to serve God with all I have...the point of really not caring one way or the other. Once I reached this point...He keeps confirming in my heart, my prayers, and my discernment- my vocation to marriage.
That being said, this weekend was also about understanding and waiting for God's perfect time. Now is NOT the time for me to get married. I'm about to start med school for crying out loud. That being said, it is the time to continue to allow God to mold me into the woman HE wants me to be so I can be the best wife, and mother possible. Please continue to pray for me and my vocational discernment...and my future spouse whoever he may be.

2) I love being Catholic.
My Aunt Sandi is a Baptist minister and she did a wonderful job with the ceremony...but to me it almost feels like they're not really married because there was no mass...no sacrament...no Eucharist. But it was still beautiful...but I still LOVE BEING CATHOLIC...
in fact..my aunt even talked about the sacrament of marriage and gave a shout out to me and my parents (the only catholics there) saying something along the lines of "we protestants don't believe in sacraments, but if we were going to marriage would be it..."

3) I'm going to be a doctor!!
That thought was very clear to me all weekend, and really over this past week. I know (as do most of you) that this year has not been easy for me. This is the crappy part that's hard...but I DO love medicine. I shadowed a friend of mine who is a doctor last weekend and loved it. I love medicine and other than being a wife and a mother, there is nothing I want to do more.
It was also really exciting this weekend to visit University of Nebraska medical school (my mom's alumni) and Creighton University (my second choice med school). To see that in truth, God willing, I will be a medical student someday soon. I just have to survive the next 5 months.

4) My life is full of small sacrifices that I need to learn to offer up (this was a weekend revelation not just a wedding one)
I realized (esp when talking with my mother) that I need to learn to keep offering up small things for the salvation of souls. Instead of complaining about my stress or my grades I need to offer it up. For me, not being married right now is a sacrifice, OFFER IT UP! Not being in Honduras is a HUGE sacrifice...Offer it UP!! I think there's nothing good that I can be doing these days but there is...I can be growing in holiness and offering up my small sufferings for the people I love most.


So here goes nothing....I begin this semester rejuvenated and still daunted at the size of the task but reminded by God that it is HIS battle and not mine. Please continue to pray that I can be successful in my studies and can continue to offer up my daily sufferings (however small they may be) I ask for your prayers for my sister and my family as we continue to grow closer to God in this new year!!

ALSO, MARK YOUR CALENDERS...MCAT EXAM IS MAY 31ST PLEASE FAST AND PRAY!!!

PRAISED BE JESUS CHRIST...NOW AND FOREVER!!

No comments: